October 2, 2020

Trump to be hospitalized at Walter Reed medical center

(CNN) President Donald Trump will be hospitalized at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center and remain there for several days, the White House said Friday afternoon.

The development came roughly 15 hours after Trump disclosed he had tested positive for the virus.

Trump was due to be flown aboard his Marine One helicopter to the hospital. It is routine for the President to travel to Walter Reed aboard Marine One.

In a statement, the President’s spokeswoman said Trump “remains in good spirits, has mild symptoms, and has been working throughout the day.”

“Out of an abundance of caution, and at the recommendation of his physician and medical experts, the President will be working from the presidential offices at Walter Reed for the next few days,” press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said. “President Trump appreciates the outpouring of support for both he and the First Lady.”

An administration official said Vice President Mike Pence was working from his residence at the Naval Observatory and remains in good health. There have been no indications yet that Trump plans to transfer power to Pence temporarily as he convalesces.

Trump has had a fever since Friday morning, a person familiar with the matter said, though the fever remains consistent with the White House’s description of “mild symptoms.”

Earlier in the afternoon, Trump’s physician wrote in a memo he “remains fatigued but in good spirits.”

“He’s being evaluated by a team of experts, and together we’ll be making recommendations to the President and First Lady in regards to next best steps,” Navy Commander Dr. Sean Conley wrote.

He said Trump had been administered a Regeneron polyclonal antibody cocktail and has been taking zinc, vitamin D, famotidine, melatonin and a daily aspirin.

The memo also said first lady Melania Trump premains well with only a mild cough and headache, and the remainder of the first family is well and have tested negative.

The President disclosed in the early morning hours on Friday that he and the first lady had tested positive for coronavirus.

People who spoke to him on Friday morning described him in high spirits, and said he was inquiring about business of the day.

By Kevin Liptak

Leave a Reply